Friday, January 6, 2017

How to Read More Books This Year

I have forever loved reading but I didn't always get to indulge that love as much as I'd like. Once I started at Barnes and Noble last year, I determined to commit more time and focus to my reading list so I could better recommend books to our customers (and, yeah--feel like a well read book snob--haha! True confession...) Anyways--how was I to do that? And how can you do it too? Here's a few quick tips...

1. Set Reading Goals 

Having a reading goal helps you figure out how much reading you need to do in a week or even a day. For example, this year, my reading goal is to read 52 books. Since there are 52 weeks a year, each week I need to read at least one book. Having a reading goal helps to strategize how much time is needed to allocate each day and week for reading. I've also begun to create trackers in my bullet journal for a visual guide to keeping up with my daily reading goals--it's just a little trick to help me stay engaged and on track. Google different tracking layouts to find one that works for you!

2. Join a Reading Challenge

This step gives a sense of accountability and also a direction for your reading through the year. I've committed my 52 book goal on Goodreads which is a wonderful website for readers to track their reading lists, find new recommendations, share books with friends, and join online reading groups. There are lots of other great reading challenges you can sign up to add more interest and spark to tackling those reading goals for the year--check out the master list of online challenges here.

3. Prepare Your Reading List in Advance

To keep your reading momentum, always have the next book ready. Don’t wait until you finish, then find the next book to read. You’ll waste unnecessary time trying to find the next book.
Instead, prepare a reading list in advance. List all the books you want to read. Add books that are recommended by your friends and family. Go to your local bookstores and see what intrigues you. You can also find a list of recommended books suggested by bloggers on their websites.

I started my original To Read list with the idea of tackling the 100 Books to Read Before You Die list, then incorporated the list of 100 Best Loved Novels and after that stumbled across the 51 Best Fantasy Series Everyone Should Read....and hence my To Read List grew and grew and grew. I had well over 500 books on my wish list and then realized how much it would cost to actually BUY ALL THOSE BOOKS!!! Yeah, it's more than intimidating. But, fortunately there are used book sales, the library--and a huge help: classic books are often free on e-reading apps! So that was a big boon to amping up my on hand backlist. So--google reading lists, ask for recommendations from your friends or the neighborhood bookseller, your favorite librarian...oh! I also realized a great way to find new books is award winner lists! Take a book you loved and see if it won any literature awards. Look up that award site online and read other of their winning choices! There is no end to the great books out there waiting for you to discover them!

And track those wish lists! Goodreads, Barnes and Noble and even (booooo) Amazon have wishlist capabilities--use them to keep track of all the wonderful recommendations you'll begin to unearth!

4. Use Your Free Time

Reading in the morning before you have to go to work or reading at night when you're winding down are the best times to read. Quite often you find you won’t get caught up in the daily distractions that interrupt your reading. Also, to maximize your reading time, try carrying a book with you wherever you go. There will be times during the day when you're free or waiting in a check out line. Use this time to catch up on your reading. Read while you're eating. If I'm sitting still, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find a book in my hands! I've even buzzed through several pages sitting in the drive thru line waiting for coffee or take out!

5. Find a Quiet Place

Reading requires focus and concentration. If possible, find a quiet place to read. Reading in a quiet environment increases your comprehension. You don’t get disrupted by external noises. You don’t have to reread previous pages and paragraphs to recall what you've just read. So choose a good environment in which to read. Switch off your phone or put it away. Close your door if necessary. You read more in one hour of focused reading than in three hours of interrupted reading.

Read, read, read--and don't forget to share those books you love with the people you love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Journal Reunion

Can anyone tell me how we got to the last week of March so soon? Happy Spring everyone! And yet, it is still flurrying a little here this mo...